Friday, September 2, 2011

911

Parenting is not for cowards! At the same time, being a parent automatically sets you up for some of the scariest moments life can offer. We had one of those moments Friday. This post will provide every last detail for our concerned family in California and so the girls can gawk at the gash when they're older.


(Warning: There are some kind of gory pictures in this post so don't read if you're not up for it.)

It was around 5:30. Britt was working, I was starting to cook dinner and the girls were playing together and having the best time. I remember thinking I should make a post to Facebook about how much I loved the sound of the two of them laughing. Allyson was rolled up in her favorite blanket and Nicole was dragging her by pulling the blanket slowly around the house. There are wood floors in the kitchen and entryway. Allyson may have asked Nicole to go faster (not sure on this). I do know Nicole whipped her around the fridge as she headed into the entry.


Unfortunately, this corner got in the way. I turned just in time to see it happen but not to stop it. Allyson's head slammed hard into the corner.
Bad attempt at humor
I only saw her hands go up to her head. I was horrified when I turned her over and saw blood pooling all over her face. The gash, between her eyes, was incredibly deep. Because of the amount of blood and it being a head injury I decided to call 911. Unfortunately, we no longer have a land line and I couldn't find my cell phone! (We'll be getting the land line back now.) I started hollering to Nicole, asking her where my phone was and the poor thing lost it, crying and saying, "I don't know! I'm so scared! I'm so scared!" I immediately got a grip on myself, found my phone in my back pocket (I know...idiot), called 911 and told Nicole her baby sister was going to be okay. She then began sobbing, "I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry." Poor thing. As this is happening and I'm holding my bleeding baby who is just moaning, the 911 operator can't hear me at first and doesn't have my address because... no land line. (Did I mention we'll be getting one of those again?)

Still, the paramedics were here in about three or four minutes! I could hear the siren as I was running to find my shoes and the operator was telling me not to move Allyson and I was thinking, "Crap... I'm holding her and running around like a crazy person." 

The ambulance arrived shortly afterward. Miraculously, a rural ambulance department was on a call in our area that was cancelled and were nearby when they were asked to come on this call. 




At this point Allyson was incredibly lethargic. The paramedic asked me if this was normal for her. Uh... not at all!!  Fortunately, the bleeding had stopped enough that I was able to take Allyson to the hospital myself instead of in the ambulance. But, just as I was getting her in the car, I saw a patrol car parked across the street and a sheriff's deputy walking toward me.

He said whenever there's a 911 call involving a minor they have to check [that it's not an abuse case].
He could tell this was simply an accident so just took our names and pictures of Allyson's injury, promising that he would not be sending DFS to do an investigation. I was thinking, "do whatever you want but let me get this kid to the hospital!"
Sheriff's "investigation"
Finally, we were off to the emergency room. The drive to St. John's hospital goes right by Bass Pro shops. Papa Davis started a little game during his visit last month where, every time a boat is seen someone cries out, "BOAT!" I knew Allyson was going to be fine as we drove by Bass Pro and from the back seat I hear this little voice say "Boat."


Daddy was waiting at the emergency entrance. There aren't many perks to police work but I was so thankful he was on duty and in his uniform (even though it probably made me look like a criminal). First responders "get it" and tend to take care of each other when they can. We still had to wait a long time but were given every possible accommodation.  
Dad helping get Allyson's height


Even with a gash between her eyes, Allyson manages to smile! (Notice the blood on her shirt.)



 Everyone at the hospital was great. They talked with Nicole who enjoyed the attention. They gave her things to color...


... and Allyson was given this little stuffed animal. They didn't know dogs are her favorite and she latched onto this thing like it was her long, lost best friend. She named him, "Ruff Ruff."

Allyson's energy was back and she was beginning to act like herself again!


Daddy even helped entertain by making a latex glove puppet.


When we arrived they asked if we wanted to put her under while they sewed her up or just hold her down. I didn't know how to make the decision as there were downsides to both. But I called my friend Karen, a nurse anesthetist and a person I would entrust with the lives of my children. She advised me to have her put under and promised me she would be fine. She advised me about the medication they would likely use and reassured me that it would be best for Allyson (especially when working on her face).


 It was a little bit of irony that the drug they used on Allyson is called  "Special K" on the street. Britt arrests people for using this stuff and here he is giving it to his own kid!

I'm so thankful for Karen because, while I'm glad we did the anesthesia, watching my little girl under sedation was really, really hard. Mainly because she began gurgling and making sounds as if she wasn't breathing right. Then, the CO2 alarm sounded and I began to get frightened. Fortunately, it was a battery issue with the machine! Her eyes remained open the entire time but she was clearly not "there." I kept my hand under her neck to help with the airway a bit (or maybe the doctor was just trying to give me something to do since he had a nurse right there.).

Waking up took a long, long time. Her first, slurred and exaggerated word we could understand was "Ruff," meaning she wanted her new little dog. :) She would wake for a moment and fall back asleep for quite a while and we just held and comforted her.

Our nurse stayed with us the entire time. We found out she attends the same church and she even helped Nicole with her Bible Quiz questions!

It was after midnight when we left the hospital. Allyson was definitely not too traumatized. In fact, I almost fell over when she described her hospital experience as "super fun." (Are you kidding me?!)

 Allyson slept with mom (and Ruff Ruff) and Daddy stayed with Nicole. We sent Nicole to school late and she got to tell the story to her first grade class. As for Allyson, she woke up like always although she took a good, long look in the mirror and said, "I got owie on the wall and the doctor fixed it!" 

Mom woke up tired from not being able to sleep but so thankful. This could have been so much worse. I really don't take for granted that we have two beautiful, healthy girls. I know not everyone has that incredible blessing. So we'll take the bumps and bruises - and cuts -  that come our way, thankful for the scars that tell the story of how God helped us through each and every one. 






1 comment:

  1. This is horrible Julie! I can't imagine how scared you must have been! Poor Allyson! I need to hug that little girl.

    ReplyDelete