Thursday, October 4, 2012

Nicole is Zuzu!

Springfield Little Theatre  is doing "It's a Wonderful Life" this Christmas. I was really on the fence about auditioning but thought it could be such fun opportunity for Nicole and I ... if we both got parts. Nicole has done some kids day camps with the theatre which put on small productions ... but she's never done one of the main stage plays.

There were two nights of initial auditions and I was still on the fence the first night. Mainly because there is only one role for which Nicole is old enough... the part of Zuzu. Here is one of the scenes from the movie as a reminder.



With just one part available for her age and probably 10-20 kids wanting the role, I was nervous. But Nicole insisted she wanted to try so, the second night, we went. I asked how she would feel if I got a part and she didn't (my worst fear) and she said she would still have fun being back stage (like she did when I was in Miracle Worker about five years ago.) So we both tried out. I thought she did great, although there were several girls who did a pretty nice job. This is the line Director, Jamie Bower had each of the girls say.


Nicole and I talked a lot on the way home. I tried to prepare her that she might not get the part but, regardless, she did a great job. "Call backs" were the following night... they are for people the director wants to see again. Wow, I prayed she would get a call back!

Well, the next day the call back list came out. My name was on it. Nicole's was not. I was pretty devastated. I didn't really want to be in it without her. Plus, I was worried she would be crushed. After school I broke the news. She was disappointed but took it so much better than I did! We went for some ice cream and returned home.

As the girls were playing on their bikes outside, I got a call from the director. He said Nicole's name had been accidentally left off the call back list!!! I was ecstatic! So was Nicole. We were off to audition a second time that night. Director Jamie was done with the kids early on but Nicole insisted on staying until the end. Wow, it went really late and she fell asleep in the car on the way home. I thought she absolutely nailed the audition. I mean, there were other really cute girls but Nicole was filled with personality! And, she was the only one who didn't need her mom standing behind her to feed her lines. I let her go up and read all by herself. She wasn't afraid one bit! In fact, this is her when the director was trying to take pictures of each girl.



And this was how she actually posed for the picture! 

I even recorded her auditioning.



The next day I was on pins and needles waiting for the cast list. It was finally posted around 4:00. SHE GOT THE PART!!!  I think her part is even bigger than the one I got. Ha Ha.  I don't even care. In fact, I am glad to have a small part because that gives us more time together back stage, etc.

Daddy brought Nicole a flower home (remember Zuzu's flower?) to congratulate her. (She was being silly with her mac & cheese in the beginning, of course.)







The best part is some of the petals are coming off... just like Zuzu's flower!


The play opens the day after Thanksgiving if anyone would like to spend the holiday with us! (Please?!)


No comments:

Post a Comment