Friday, March 20, 2015

Bad Day

As long as I can remember people have told me I should write a book because of the crazy predicaments I find myself in on a regular basis. It seems I always have a new, almost unbelievable  story to tell. Today's chapter would be titled, "Bad Day." Or maybe"This can't possibly be happening."

I attend a Mom's group twice a month on Friday mornings. I had never signed up to bring food so last week I put my name down. I was up, had the kids (and myself) dressed and ready on time. My plan was to preheat the oven while driving them to school, come back and throw my coffee cake in the oven before I needed to leave. 

I was barely out of the neighborhood at a stoplight when some woman was knocking on my car window. (Scared me to death!) She informed me my back tire was flat. What?! Fortunately, I was right next to a gas station. That's when I realized I left my phone at home. Agh. I borrowed the station's phone but Britt didn't answer. The nice man agreed to help me put air in the tire (I know. I'm such a girl. I've never even aired my own tires.). Another kind woman came over and insisted I take her can of "fix o flat" and keep it in the car. (I remember my dad telling me to keep that stuff in the car when I first learned to drive.)

I made it back to the house. Got a hold of Britt. I was going to try to take the kids to school but when I went back out to the car we could hear the air hissing out of the tire. No way was I driving on that!  
This is what was in that tire!



He got home and took the girls to school in his car. No problem.

When he got home he put the spare tire on my car. The spare went immediately flat when he set the car down on it. Seriously?? By now I was running late. 

No problem. I'll drive his car to my brunch. (Of course, that meant he had to keep Mallory because we don't have a seat for her in his car.) I was about a mile down the road when I called him. "What's wrong with your car?!" He had no idea what I was talking about. Literally. The car had evidently been acting completely fine on his way to the house and on the way to and from taking girls to school. This is what it was doing to me!




And back home.

I barely made it to the church. That's when I noticed stuff leaking out of the bottom front of the car.


Notice the font has changed? Don't ask me why. And don't ask me how to change it. I've been trying. We will just go with it. Fits the day, don't you think??

I have to say, it's nice having a husband who can quickly diagnose a problem. He knew it was CV joints. That scared me to death because I know what can happen and because I know those babies aren't cheap. Fortunately, he is also able to fix the problem himself! 

So ... tow truck to the church.




The part wasn't available until the afternoon. Britt has been in the garage for hours working on this car. 


Here's the old CV joint.


And the new one. Looks a little different, don't you think?

Can you say grease monkey?


I came out to check on him at one point and could not believe my eyes. Thought he was growing hair again (although old man hair). Nope. This is grease on the back of his head. LOL!!


Well, I said I would call the chapter "Bad Day." But, looking back, I see it wasn't all bad. 

I see how, that morning when I was mad at the old fart who pulled in front of me, God was making sure there was a woman behind me to see that flat tire. 

I see he put me at that gas station with a kind man and a woman who actually carries fix-o-flat. 

I see how I made it to the church safely. 

And I see how much we saved because our insurance covered the tow and we paid nothing for fixing our tire thanks to coverage we have on those.

And I see how I have a handy and hardworking-and very dirty-husband.

I saw my girls have a wonderful evening playing in the front yard while Daddy worked on the car.

And then I saw this. Something our family calls a "God-sighting."



Maybe that should be the name of this chapter: God Sightings.

No comments:

Post a Comment