Saturday, March 7, 2015

Nicole: Ten Years Old

For a couple of years now I've known I wanted to make Nicole's 10th birthday special. I think double digits is a big deal! Bittersweet, yes. She's not my baby any more and she's starting to not even be my "little" girl anymore! That part is kind of sad. But, from the time she was born, I can honestly say I have enjoyed every stage! Not every day or every moment ... that's impossible ... but every stage. I loved her snuggly newborn stage (okay, except for all the reflux puking), her independent toddler stage, her adorable princessy preschool stage and her growing grade-schooler stage.

Who is Nicole today? She is funny! A huge (HUGE) helper to her mom, always excited about learning or trying something new, animated and enthusiastic with her friends, quick-witted and creative. She's not afraid to get in front of a crowd and perform yet she's shy about wearing dresses and won't even consider wearing make-up. (Not even for one of her birthday games!)

She still loves Pandas (a lasting remnant from her obsession with China that began with a trip to her favorite Chinese restaurant, Mr. Yen's ... which was recently shut down by the health department!! Her dad and I never liked it so we weren't totally surprised.). She enjoys being outdoors, riding bikes, collecting rocks or creating something. She is either getting along with Allyson 100% or they are fighting which drives Mom crazy. She adores Mallory and occasionally needs to be reminded she's not actually the mommy.

Nicole's love of books just grows and grows. I love this about her!! And she remembers what she's read. Papa and Grandma Sedenko gave her a subscription to National Geographic and I think she's memorized every article she's ever read. She is so smart! Whenever Nicole's "gone missing" we can usually find her nose buried in a book.

We see the beginning of attitude challenges creeping into life here and there. She appreciates the opportunity to share what's on her mind ... or sometimes to not say anything at all. She is our sensitive one and we have to be careful not to be too stern or jump to a conclusion. It doesn't take a lot of scolding for Nicole to "get it."

I feel like I'm on the brink of the unknown as we enter the "tween" years and, like I have so many times with this first child, I am beginning to dig into my own books and try to figure out how best to navigate the years ahead. I realize now we are over halfway done raising her and I hang my head at the many mistakes we've made. Then I look at her and who she is becoming and tears come to my eyes at the grace of God. In spite of all the times we've blown it ... she is a deeply feeling little girl with a growing faith in Him and a love for others, a desire to please and yet keep her independent spirit. I feel so inadequate, yet I look forward to being her mommy through this next stage of her life. I look forward to how our relationship can change and grow. What a gift. Ten years ago my own childhood dream came true when Nicole was born and I become her mommy.

Well! This was going to be a post about her birthday party! But, I think it's important to recognize this person we are celebrating and all that she has become. Click here to see how we marked this milestone in her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment